Monday 24 August 2015

POACHED EGG & AVOCADO TOAST

Poached Egg & Avocado Toast @AnotherRoot

Good morning, breakfast lovers!
I could seriously eat breakfast foods  all day long. Lunch, dinner, snack… Yum! Lately I’ve been trying to eat less refined sugar, and of course my usual go-to breakfasts are pretty heavy in the sugar department — oatmeal, cereal, pancakes, waffles. I love them all oh so much, but we’re going to need to take a break for a while.
Enter the savory breakfast! In the past, I’d shied away from eggs because they seemed to cause stomach aches when I was little. But I make K eggs over-easy most mornings, and decided to do some experimenting. Fried, scrambled, omelette-style. To my surprise, they left me feeling great all morning, not an upset stomach in sight! But they didn’t really wow me.
Until we were out to breakfast one morning, and I ordered poached eggs. Creamy, soft, drippy yolks, perfect with crusty toast. Oh man, those things were good. I was hooked.
Poached Egg & Avocado Toast @AnotherRoot


I attempted to poach an egg once, and the results were less than desireable. Cloudy water, egg whites everywhere, yolks stuck to the bottom. Eek!
But cooking is an adventure, and I was determined to eat poached eggs in my pjs at home! After a little experimentation, I found a method that makes cooking the perfect poached egg scary-no-more.
My secret… Just enough water to cover the egg paired with the rim of a mason jar, just the outer rim. Boom! The eggs settle into the rims, cooking up into these neat little packages. They don’t come out perfect every time, but hey! They taste delicious just the same. Sprinkle a little cheese on top and you’re good to go.
Poached Egg & Avocado Toast @AnotherRoot

This recipe is my twist on the poached egg and avocado toast. Taking inspiration from our recent trip to Mexico, I added a little heat with my favorite hot sauce (Cholula!), and the lime and goat cheese add an amazing depth of flavor.
From start to finish, these take under 10 minutes to make. Every time. And I feel so fancy eating them!

POACHED EGG & AVOCADO TOAST
 
PREP TIME
COOK TIME
TOTAL TIME
 
A simple Poached Egg & Avocado Toast recipe that is absolutely delicious, with a spicy kick. Real, healthy food made with simple ingredients.
Author: 
Serves: 1
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 slices of whole grain bread
  • ½ avocado
  • 1 Tbsp shredded goat cheese
  • Lime wedges
  • Sliced scallions
  • Hot sauce (optional)
  • Salt & pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Fill a medium saucepan with about 2 inches of water, just enough to cover the eggs while poaching. Bring the water to a boil, and then turn off the heat.
  2. Place the outer rims of 2 mason jars in the bottom of the pan.
  3. Crack one egg into a small dish and gently pour into one of the Ball jar rims. Repeat with the second egg. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes (4 for really soft, 4:30 for soft, 5 for medium).
  4. While the eggs are poaching, toast the bread and mash the avocado with a bit of lime juice and salt. Spread the avocado on each piece of toast. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and hot sauce, if using.
  5. When the eggs are done, use a spatula to lift them out of the water -- tip slightly to drain any excess water as needed. Gently remove the rim from each egg and place on the prepared toasts. Top with scallions, and salt and pepper to taste.
NOTES
Adding a teaspoon of white vinegar to the water before boiling will help to keep the egg whites together.

Most of the fats in this recipe are heart healthy in moderation. If you are watching your cholesterol intake, you can use just one egg or substitute egg whites in place of the whole eggs.

Comment below what you thought of the recipe! Did you like it? would you add anything to it to make it better? Let me know :)


Source
http://www.anotherroot.com/poached-egg-avocado-toast/

No comments:

Post a Comment